The question is raised almost as much as a single person is asked, “When are you going to get married?” or a married couple is asked, “Do you want to have children?” My 13-year-old son is often asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I love waiting for his answer and anticipating what he might say.
Right now he wants to be a lawyer. But that follows a few years of wanting to be a preacher like his Papaw, a rock-n-roll star, an NBA basketball player or a FBI agent. I personally think if he doesn’t settle on just one, there could be an interesting combination at work.
Who do I want to be if I ever grow up? 🙂
- I want to be the person who listens, instead of the one who always talks
- To be like the woman who doesn’t just think something good about someone, but actually takes the time to stop and tell them
- Someone who smiles instead of frowns, because it’s just as easy to do one as the other
- I want to fully recover from, and never return to, my “control-a-holic.” ways…because, given a chance or any encouragement at all, I will take the bull by the horns and run with it. When God is in control, things run so much smoother.
- I want to always remember that some of the wisest people I know don’t have college degrees, resumes or impressive bios
- Give people the benefit of the doubt, because we all have issues, we all have baggage, we all have histories and not everyone has dug up the roots of their past
- Be someone you can call on, count on and know I will be there if I can
- A wife who lifts her husband up instead of finding ways to cut him down
- A mother who adores her children and grandchildren
- A daughter willing to tenderly take as much time for my parents as they did for me.
- I want to pray for the needs of others more than I pray for myself
- I want to live, love and laugh with all I’ve got!
- I always want to remember that God has never let me down. And, as long as I’m here, He still has a plan.
So if you don’t mind me asking…who do you still want to be?
“What we are is God’s gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.”
© Copyright 2011, KeziahCarrie. All Rights Reserved